Skip to main content

martha stewart glitter paint!

I was more than a little bit interested when I heard that Martha Stewart came out with an entire line of paints and accessories for Michael's.  And I started out slow, just getting one color so I could paint some plastic ornaments for Christmas.

Then it turned into this...

Here is the story.  We are traveling to see my in-laws for Christmas and there has been much planning about babies around the Christmas tree.  So I decided to decorate some plastic ornaments and send them over ahead of time so my mother-in-law can put those on the bottom of the tree.

A couple years back I had seen a demo at the Plaid booth at CHA.  They were swirling paint around the inside of clear ornaments.  Perfect!  Should just be able to squeeze some paint into the ornament, swirl, dry, and done.  Not so much...

I squeezed, swirled, and dried.  But as the paint was drying on the inside it was cracking.
So I added a second coat.  That one took off some of the original paint and then pooled at the bottom and cracked on the sides again.
Being persistent, I tried a third coat.  It looked worse than ever. 
New plan!  Time to paint the outside.  I used some blue tape to mask a striped design and applied the first coat to the outside to cover up the cracked paint on the inside.
Second coat (still wet).
And third coat.
Unfortunately, I forgot to take a picture before I got these beauties all packed up and sent off to Hawaii. So I'll have to do an update after Christmas when I can get some pictures of them on the tree.  But the paint did look really great after three coats on the outside.  Don't know what the cracking issue was on the inside - maybe not enough air to dry quickly.

I also glittered up some buttons with the paint, and it turned out that those needed more like four or five coats to completely cover the pink button underneath.
Even though I had a rocky start with the paint, it still has more glitter and better coverage than any other glitter paint I have seen or used.  Since I have so many colors now I'll probably be painting anything I can get my hands on.  More to come!

Comments