Skip to main content

fresh spider veil for halloween

I saw a really easy costume idea in Martha Stewart magazine, that was for a birdcage veil with a spider on it.  And it was easy to make, but I wasted a ton of time trying to find the authentic birdcage netting - called Russian netting/veiling for anyone who is searching.  And then I ran out of time and had to get the closest thing I could find at our local fabric stores.  The supplies I used were:
  • glitter black tulle
  • fine black tulle (to make a little flower)
  • paper mache spider
  • purple glitter
  • purple headband
  • spray adhesive
  • hot glue gun
  • needle and black thread
There wasn't a picture of this project on the Martha Stewart website, but you can see it in my magazine clipping below (click to enlarge).
And my version:
Birdcage veil with spider for Halloween

I used a running stitch to gather the glitter tulle so that the back was a bit shorter and pointed upwards.  Then the longer half was draped over half my face and I glued it onto the headband.


I used a running stitch on the fine tulle ribbon to make a little black rose and then added that to the veil with hot glue.
And lastly I sprayed the spider with adhesive so that I could coat it in the purple glitter from Martha Stewart.  And learn a lesson from me here - with spray adhesive your glitter is going to stick everywhere, so you won't be able to pour a lot of it back into the bottle.  I wasted a ton!

I actually sewed the spider onto the birdcage at the end (instead of glue) so that the legs could stand up a bit.
And I think it looked pretty good with my little ladybug!

Comments