Skip to main content

quilted snuggle blanket with minky

fresh crafts blog: quilted snuggle blanket
I have a toddler that started sleeping well just recently, so I will do anything to keep her in her bed longer.  When the weather (finally) started to cool off here in Southern California I noticed that she was waking up cold.  So off we went to my favorite fabric store and once she saw this minky she actually started cuddling it on the fabric bolt.  That made the decision pretty easy.
fresh crafts blog: batik quilted backing
It would have been really easy to make a blanket with minky on both sides, but I was worried that would be too warm.  And the only fabric I could find in the coral color I wanted was in the batik section.  So I knew I would have to do a quilting backing for the blanket because the minky is much wider than the batiks.  

The lady that was cutting my fabric was super helpful and cut the smallest pieces possible to get the squares I needed for quilting.  One yard of minky measured 60" x 36" so I needed 15 of the 12.5" batik squares to quilt the backing.  And in the end, with all of the fabric bunching and stretching and trimming, the finished blanket measures 57" x 35".  


fresh crafts blog: snuggle blanket magic
The snuggle blanket started working its magic before I could cut off all the loose threads!
When it comes to sewing, I would describe my style as lazy (on a good day).  But this blanket was finished in less than 2 weeks, cost less than $35, and was completely designed and finished by me.  I am awesome!  But really, it was easy:
  • Buy fabrics. Easy!
  • Quilt the backing together
  • Pin together with right sides facing in
  • Sew along the edge and leave an opening about 6" wide
  • Gently pull the blanket back through the opening
  • Top stitch about 1/2" from the edge and make sure your opening is securely sewn shut
  • Sew small X's on along each of the 8 interior quilted seams
  • Done!


fresh crafts blog: snuggle blanket quilting
I sewed small X's along the interior seams to keep the two sides of the blanket together.


fresh crafts blog: snuggle blanket quilting (reverse side)
The X's on the reverse side blended really well.  Would have been even better if I had changed the bobbin thread,


fresh crafts blog: batik scraps and blanket layout
I drew a layout of the quilt pattern before I got started.  And there weren't very many scraps left at the end!

What do you think?  Hope you're having as much fun as I am checking things off of my project list!


UPDATE 11/16/2012:

I went back to Beverly's to figure out the fabrics I used in this project.  It turned out the the "minky" is actually from Shannon Fabrics' "cuddle" line.  This print is called Ibiza Cuddle Olivia.  The batik prints I used are from Hoffman Fabrics and Batavian Batiks.  I included pictures below in case you want style numbers.
fresh crafts blog: shannon fabrics "ibiza cuddle olivia"

fresh crafts blog: Hoffman Fabrics and Batavian Batiks


Comments

listgirl said…
I'm so impressed with your quilt! And how cute that Madi likes it so much! I don't know what minky is, but it looks like furry fleece. Yay for being so productive!
KRT said…
very impressive and what a cute helper!
Hera said…
Hi Cassi, I'm Hera Sugitani, from Brazil! I read you post at Amy's blog, and you asked about the matrioshkas... they are from a sweet Brazilian brand called Goodies, you will love the collection... and the stamps that she used in the new post are from Sweet Stamp. I hope you like them... kisses...
http://loja.tray.com.br/loja/loja-60543
http://sweetstamp.tanlup.com/
handmade_cass said…
Thanks Hera! I am going to start looking now.