Skip to main content

DIY rubber stamps with Stampin' Up leftovers

I just received a big, fun order from my favorite Stampin' Up demonstrator and got to thinking about using up some of the leftovers.  
fresh crafts blog: Stampin' Up "oh, hello" stamp set
In case you didn't know, Stampin' Up stamps come with some assembly required and you end up with a foam-backed rubber piece like this at the end.
fresh crafts blog: DIY rubber stamps
I thought I would just cut out some fun shapes for my daughter to use as stamps.  It took me a few hours to figure out what I would adhere them to, since I don't have extra stamping blocks sitting around.  
fresh crafts blog: DIY rubber stamps
Then I saw these champagne corks that I had been saving for a different project - but they are perfect for little hands to hold onto.  The Tim Holtz scissors were perfect for cutting the foam-backed rubber, but I found that straight cuts turned out much better than curves.
fresh crafts blog: DIY rubber stamps using wine corks
Just look at all the fun we were having!  And since I ordered a wood mounted stamp set from Stampin' Up the adhesive was already on the foam.  But if you ordered a cling rubber stamp set you could use something like Glossy Accents to adhere your cut shapes to the cork.
fresh crafts blog: DIY rubber stamps using wine corks
My daughter ended up with an "M", a heart, and something resembling an octagon because the circle looked terrible.  But I couldn't let her have all the fun... 
fresh crafts blog: DIY rubber stamps using Stampin' Up
So I snipped off the corner alignment marks on the rubber, and squeezed them together to make an arrow or chevron stamp for myself.  I'm thinking if I start now I can do an entire alphabet set.  Just need a bunch more champagne corks.  Who is willing to help me?!

Comments

Fabulous idea! Will try it with my son some day! TFS!!