Skip to main content

fresh sugar skulls

I have really been getting into the crafty spirit lately.  In fact I've been working on so many projects that I can't even keep up with getting pictures posted.  And I forgot to take a picture of the ornaments I just finished and sent off to my mother-in-law!  Oops.


But I did get lots of pictures when my aunt and cousin threw a crafty party so we could all get together and decorate some sugar skulls before Halloween and Dia de Los Muertos.  They used a mold to make a sugar skull for everyone, and we all brought a few different things for decorations - glitter, sequins, beads, and a million different colors of icing.  This was something new for me to try, although I see the sugar skulls around quite a bit here in San Diego.


The sugar skulls were all set up with the decorating supplies, just waiting for everyone to get started.

My cousins brought their sweet baby girl for the special crafting day.

And my little helper was also on hand for all the fun.  You can see in the background, that we had a rotating slideshow of sugar skull pictures for inspiration.  I'll admit that I copied a few ideas.

And the iPad was brought in for additional picture references. 
Lots of color and sequins on this end of the table.

And this is the start of flames on the forehead.  Not a lotus flower! (like I assumed)
Here is my finished sugar skull before the baby said we needed to head home.  Next time I'll have to work quicker if I want to fill up the whole thing.  I didn't even get to the glitter!
I also have to mention the special apple cider bourbon cocktail that my aunt made for us.  I think she saw the recipe on the Martha Stewart show and altered it a little bit.  I know that she did a cinnamon sugar rim on the glass, and used apple cider ice cubes.  I'll have to get the rest of her special recipe because it was delicious (and so pretty)!
The apple cider bourbon cocktail that we all enjoyed during craft time. 

Comments

Jan Hennings said…
How incrediThanks so much for your sweet comment on my Handmade Holiday Blog Hop project. What a fun hop its been!bly creative :)