Skip to main content

fresh sewing projects for baby gifts

One of my very good girlfriends just had a baby!  I met her on my first day moving into my college dorm - her room was right across the hall from mine and she had a can opener when I needed one.  That was more than 10 years ago and we live a few thousand miles apart but we try to stay in close contact and both love to make gifts for each other.


I had been excited to make this set for quite a while, and managed to get both projects done in one afternoon.  The first is a onesie with some fabric embellishment.  I'm not sure if you can call it applique if you use a machine to stitch it on?  I did.  And like always, I learned the hard way that you need a special needle and a stretch stitch for knits.  I just used my pinking shears and a zig zag stitch, so at least it looks cute.  Sorry if it doesn't survive the first wash Katie!
Next was a set of "wee wee tee pees" that I saw in a fancy baby boutique.  They were really expensive and I didn't know anyone having a baby boy at the time, so I didn't buy any but tried to copy them from memory a year later.  The result is functional but not quite as pretty.  I would have been better off if I had looked up a pattern online ahead of time, like this one.
Can't forget the card!  I have been itching to use my Copic markers again so I picked out a baby stamp that I could use the Copics with (stamp from Memory Box), distressed the edges a bit, and adhered using foam.  Added a background houndstooth stamp from Hero Arts and shiny Brilliance ink.  Baker's twine from The Twinery and a Fiskars edge punch finish off the card.
Hope this package finds its way to a very happy baby and mama!

Comments

KRT said…
congratulations! i really enjoyed your video - it was very professional and informative.
Emily Leiphart said…
Hi Cassandra, thanks so much for stopping by my blog! I love your matching onesie and peepee teepees. LOL I used those for my son and they worked like magic! Your card is fabulous, too. That houndstooth background is on my wish list. ;)
Thanks so much for stopping by and reading about Kristen of Paper Crave and her Studio! It was great to have you. I love that you have a close friend like that from college that you make things for. I have a very similar story on meeting my college gal pal/Maid of Honor! :) Thanks again!

RobbieLee