Skip to main content

fresh handprints in clay

I always wanted to preserve my baby's hand and footprints, especially while they are still tiny.  I tried a baby safe ink pad when she was 3 months old, but it turned out neon pink instead of a nice subdued color.  




The color was a little too jarring for any keepsakes I had in mind.  Onto the next project...  I saw some Crayola clay at Lakeshore when I was there last week to laminate the covers for my mini album.  That gave me the idea to preserve these precious prints in clay!  




I ended up buying the clay at Michael's with a coupon, and they didn't have white in the big tub option.  So I figured the terra cota color would be next best.  It dried a bit darker than I expected.  And the color was uneven where I had tried to smooth over some areas with a wet sponge.  So I pulled out my Twinkling H2O watercolors that haven't seen any love in many years.




Since I had to do a trial run I made a little handprint for my mom's birthday this week.  Next time I think I'll only use one color when painting, and make sure the clay is smooth before doing any prints.  And I'm thinking that these may turn into Christmas ornaments and gifts.

Comments