Skip to main content

tulle flower hair clips

I got the idea to make some tulle flowers after falling in love with some really expensive headbands on etsy.com that had some pink tulle flowers with pearls in the center.  I searched high and low for a tutorial on how to make them, but settled on a technique that was originally intended for cardstock flowers.


First I cut out 24 tulle circles using a paper template that measures about 3" across.  This is the spool of tulle I mentioned earlier that cost less than $2 for 25 yards!
Then I layered three circles at a time, folded in half, and then into thirds.  You end up with a pie slice shape and I used my Tim Holtz tiny attacher to staple these to a piece of felt.  You can see the end result (bottom view) here.
From there I used some different flower dies with my Cuttlebug to see which felt flower I wanted to layer on top of the tulle.  Also looking at different button and color combination options.
Once I had secured the felt flower by sewing on the button, I used hot glue to secure the alligator clip underneath one more layer of felt on the back.  This way all of the staples and button stitching is covered up, and the felt gives the clip a little extra grip.
I'm pretty happy with the final result!  Planning to make at least a couple more for all of my girlfriends with young daughters.

Comments